Re: Can't startx due t fixed fonts

I didn't see the original post, but I just ran into this 2 days ago on
a system upgrade. I suspect something is broken in the package
dependencies, but I'm not sure where. I did many searches on google
and the debian lists and found some solutions. None of them worked for
me, but most of them all followed the same pattern of:

1. remove all of your x packages
2. reinstall all of your x packages

I tried several different permutations of this, and all of them
failed. Finally, I used the tasksel program, and selected something
like x-window-system. It churned away for a while, and when it was
done, x sort of worked.

The 'sort of' part is that the config file it generated from the
questions I answered in the dpkg configure script made it so that X
couldn't figure out what kind of screen I had specified. Luckily, I
had my config file from an earlier installation lying around and
plugged that one in place.