Re: alsa woes: everythings loads, but no sound

(pls Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed for a few weeks, tnx)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:21:54 EST, Faheem Mitha writes:
>> Of course I un-muted everything according to the FAQ.

> Did you unmute everything?

First of all I went with
 http://www.alsa-project.org/~jfulmer/alsa-faq.html (2.8):
     amixer set Master on
     amixer set PCM on
     amixer set Master 75%
     amixer set PCM 75%

Then I un-muted (and set to "max") _every_thing.

> I was playing around with alsamixer
> yesterday, and I noticed that you don't want to unmute everything.
> There is one setting you *don't* want to unmute. If you do so, no
> sound will come out. I don't remember which channel this was, but it
> one of the ones at the end (last two or three). Actually, I noticed
> there were only two settings (in alsamixer) that I needed to unmute,
> and of course you have to raise the level. One of these was the first
> channel (master) and the other was PCM (I think). Try unmuting only
> those and raising the level and see if you get sound.

A reboot fixed it for me, and if I'd know why, I'd be much happier
 (because with the new box I'd like uptimes as with the old one: from
 power-outage to power-outage).

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power."
-- - Dogbert (Adams)