Re: adsl and xemacs (beginner)

Lo, on Saturday, January 26, Kapil Khosla did write:

<SNIP>

> 2) I used apt-get install xemacs and got the editor but am not able
> to open it from console (xemacs &),I get the follwing error
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Initialization error: X server not responding
> : ":0.0"
>
> [1]+  Exit 255                xemacs
>
> I can however use it from the Apps-Editor-Xemacs
> Why is this so..can you give me a web resource to understand the \
> reason,

Has to do with X security.  My guess is that the shell in your terminal
is not running as the same user you logged in as -- did you su to root?

Simplest solution: don't su within the terminal; just stay as your
normal user and everything should be OK.

(X security is a complicated system, so I didn't go into it here.  I can
post a brief explanation of the issues if you're interested.)

Richard