Help! NFS Wierdness...

I'm having a really strange problem with mounting NFS partitions on my
Debian box. I have another box running an NFS server on the same
network, and am trying to mount an NFS share on my client PC. I type:

mount 10.1.1.40:/home/cvs -t nfs /home/cvs

And the terminal in which I do this completely hangs. I can close it if
it's an xterm. Sometimes it actually mounts the partition... but still
hangs the terminal. Whether or not it mounts the partition, mount
becomes an unkillable process (kill -9 does nothing). umount similarly
locks the terminal. What am I doing wrong?

FYI: I'm running Woody w/ 2.4.17 custom compiled kernel. Yes, I did
compile in NFS support. What am I doing wrong?