Re: Again: Most programs don't run. Please help!

Cameron Kerr <cameron@glissarok.localdomain> writes:

> Well, if the error is indeterminate, then I would start to suspect your
> hardware. Errors such as this often indicate bad memory, in my
> experience. Getting segfaults all the time is a classic example of this.
>
> Get hold of memtest86 (http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/) and give your
> memory a good going over.

Three completed runs, all 16 tests, no error.

> Running crashme off a boot floppy might also be, ah, interesting...

Would this, run by a simple computer user - except possibly crashing my
system - produce information which could help to pinpoint the problem?
(To say the truth - the explanation at
http://people.delphi.com/gjc/crashme.html didn't give me the
impression that I could interpret the result.)

The problem BTW returned again, now the third time, again only for
some minutes. It started during a cron job and started and *ended*
during heavy disk activity. (Actually it ended when I started memtest
for a third run which seemed to cause some swapping activity.)

Maybe, I should test my hard disks. What programs would you recommend
for that?

Andreas Goesele