Re: Downloading huge files with Mozilla?

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:16:51 -0500, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> > Is there a way I can download a file with Mozilla in such a way that the
> > download file, while in progress, is saved in my home directory and not in
> > /tmp?
>
> Try setting TMPDIR or TMP environment variables, mozilla downloads to
> ~/tmp for me, which I have both pointed to.
>
> Now if I could just make it download to the final filename instead of
> doing as it does now: downloading to a temporary, hard-to-guess name
> and renaming when done. It's annoying to not be able to easily examine
> files as they download.

There's a perfectly logical reason for doing that.  Do you think some
user's might try to open the file before the download is complete?
What if the download fails to finish?  Will less sophisticated users
think Mozilla downloaded the file and then subsequently deleted it?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>