zsnes: cannot get it work

i have downloaded zsnes from debian (my son is already using it under win) but my problem is that when i run : zsnes mario.smc (or aerofighter.smc) i can see the starting screen but it flickers (i do not know if it is the right word, i mean the image moves quickly up and down and viceversa). my video card is a matrox millennium g200 agp and works very well, e.g. with snes9x under xfree.
i got the following suggestion from zsnes message board at zsnes homepage:
try turning in vsync
which i did! i added -w to the command, but the problem was still there :-(
when i kill the program i can see the following message:
Use ZSNES -? for command line definitions
MMX support enabled. FOUND!
File opened successfully!
Max 48mbit ROM support + SuperFX/C4 support + 16bit New Gfx Engine
Filename    : mario.srm
Frame Skip  : AUTO
Debugger    : OFF
Memory Free :
Cartridge name : SUPER MARIOWORLD
ROM type       : LOROM/ROM/SRAM
Memory Map     : 20
ROM size       :  Megabits
SRAM size      :  Kilobytes
ROM Type       : NTSC
Checksum       : PASSED
NMI Vector Location   : 816A
Reset Vector Location : 8000
Press Any Key to Continue.
matroxfb: cannot set xres to 800, rounded up to 832
matroxfb: cannot set xres to 800, rounded up to 832
ZSNES could not find any joysticks

since the rom type is ntsc i tried adding the -u option to the command and afterwards i substituted it with the -t one.
the problem is still the same (i will cope with the joystick problem once i have solved the main one).
any suggestion?
aldo