Re: Catastrophy: most programs don't start anymore!

On Thursday 24 January 2002 04:01 am, Andreas Goesele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, if this comes thru twice: My impression is, that my first attempt
> to mailing it to the list failed. (It didn't show up and my local MTA -
> exim - isn't working any more.) As my problem is *very* serious I try it
> a second time without use of my local MTA.)
>
> I have suddenly and unexpectedly a very serious problem: most programs
> don't start any more and die with the message:
>
> foo relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2: symbol rectory, version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> I don't have any clue and am afraid to reboot, as quite basic things
> as for instance login are affected.
>
> Last thing I did before the problem started was to try to install
> abiword: The installation process went through without problem, but
> than abiword wouldn't start and was the first program with this
> message.
>
> This happened while I was doing an apt-get upgrade, which ended too with
>
> the forementioned error message. Don't know, whether this upgrade has
> to do something with the problem:
>
> Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-modules 5.6.1-7 [1279kB]
>
> Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl 5.6.1-7 [1150kB]
> Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-base 5.6.1-7 [496kB]
> Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main libperl5.6 5.6.1-7 [348kB]
> Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bison 1:1.31-2 [374kB]
> Get:6 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bonobo 1.0.14-3 [232kB]
> Get:7 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main debhelper 3.4.1 [184kB]
> Get:8 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main fdutils 5.3-3.6 [336kB]
> Get:9 http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free libforms0.89 0.89-12
> [365kB]
> Get:10 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-doc 5.6.1-7 [3886kB]
> Get:11 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main sudo 1.6.5p1-1 [134kB]
> Fetched 8783kB in 19m35s (7471B/s)
> /usr/bin/dpkg: relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2: symbol
> rectory, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
> reference
>
> This is a fairly up to date woody box.
>
> Hope there is some help!
>
> Andreas Goesele
hello,
I started seeing those on a smp system with a smp kernel, and disks on a
hpt370 ata100 controller; as soon as I moved the disks on the motherboard
controller (i440bx) OR used a uniprocessor kernel, they dissapeared.
I was the same behaviour (suddenly no executable worked, even the scripts
stoped woking, saying syntax error, etc...); i could not even reboot cleanly,
had to hit the reset button. After that, on fsck massive filesytem
corruption, I think some bad sectors were marked (the disks are good).
The solution for now for me is to use a uniprocessor kernel or a smp kernel
on the mboard's controller (ata33) ;(...

hope this helps,
dragos