Catastrophy: most programs don't start anymore!

Hi,

Sorry, if this comes thru twice: My impression is, that my first attempt
to mailing it to the list failed. (It didn't show up and my local MTA -
exim - isn't working any more.) As my problem is *very* serious I try it
a second time without use of my local MTA.)

I have suddenly and unexpectedly a very serious problem: most programs
don't start any more and die with the message:

foo relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2: symbol rectory, version
GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I don't have any clue and am afraid to reboot, as quite basic things
as for instance login are affected.

Last thing I did before the problem started was to try to install
abiword: The installation process went through without problem, but
than abiword wouldn't start and was the first program with this
message.

This happened while I was doing an apt-get upgrade, which ended too with

the forementioned error message. Don't know, whether this upgrade has
to do something with the problem:

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-modules 5.6.1-7 [1279kB]

Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl 5.6.1-7 [1150kB]
Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-base 5.6.1-7 [496kB]
Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main libperl5.6 5.6.1-7 [348kB]
Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bison 1:1.31-2 [374kB]
Get:6 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main bonobo 1.0.14-3 [232kB]
Get:7 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main debhelper 3.4.1 [184kB]
Get:8 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main fdutils 5.3-3.6 [336kB]
Get:9 http://http.us.debian.org woody/non-free libforms0.89 0.89-12
[365kB]
Get:10 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main perl-doc 5.6.1-7 [3886kB]
Get:11 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main sudo 1.6.5p1-1 [134kB]
Fetched 8783kB in 19m35s (7471B/s)
/usr/bin/dpkg: relocation error: /lib/libnss_compat.so.2: symbol
rectory, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time
reference

This is a fairly up to date woody box.

Hope there is some help!

Andreas Goesele