Re: Xf86 4.1.0.1 configuration problem

> Check out the video card's memory / memory setting.  It sounds like X is
> trying to give you a display that will "fit" within the memory limits of
> the card.
I have no video card memory settings.  But the video card is supposed to
support modes up to 1024x768 at 256, which is far more than the monitor
can.

> For 640 X 480 X 8 resolution you will need 2457600 BITS (2.4576 Megs) of
> video memory.
>
> For 320 X 200 X 8 you need only 512000 (0.512 Megs) of video memory.
>
> As an aside, I find your report that the MONITOR is placing limits on
> your color depth quite unusual.  I have never seen one that does this,
> except for some of the very old digital monitors circa 1980 time...
> Most analog monitors only place limits on your resolutions via the synch
> rates for the vertical and horizontal ranges.  Most analog monitors can
> handle whatever color depth you can throw at them as long as you keep
> the horizontal and vertical synch signals within range.  I wonder what
> type monitor you have??  (Model #, Make, etc).  BTW, I am using the
> terms "digital" and "analog" here in the sense of how the monitor
> processes the video signals provided.  A "digital" monitor is quite rare..

I know from experience that this monitor is only capable of handling
640x480 and 256 colors, but I have never had any problem cranking it up
farther, it just makes the screen go out of control (indicating that it
cannot hit that refresh rate I would assume) so I change it back
immediately.  It happens to be an IBM TYPE 8518, from the PS2 vintage.
I know you can look up the stats of this monitor on the IBM homepage,
and I know that the settings in the config file match this monitor.
-Conor