Re: su woes. - resolved

  The problem was that the newest base-password deletes the group "wheel"
under some circumstances.  In my case, "wheel" had the same gid as "sys"
wanted.
  This is a problem if you have PAM configured such that only members of group
wheel can become root.
  On the bright side, I found a security hole in my configuration of sudo that
let me fix this problem.

>   Using sid, kernel 2.4.17, MD5 Passwords, whenever I try to su to root, I get
> a "permission denied" error.  Not a PAM_UNIX AUTHFAIL error, but permission
> denied.
>   I know that the password I give it is correct.
>   Does anyone else get this, and/or know how to fix it?

crh
--
Corey R. Halpin (http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~halpin/ )
Student of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences