Some USB keyboard troubles.

Hi

I have been running debian unstable for a while now - and not had any
problems - currently was running a custom 2.4.16 with ext3 patch.
I have had a USB mouse for quite a while - and so had the USB support for
mice installed in my kernel.  Recently however my PS/2 keyboard port died a
relatively sudden death.  Replacement of my motherboard under waranty was
going to be 2 weeks so I decided that instead I would just invest in a USB
keyboard.
I dual boot with win2k - which works fine with my new keyboard - I enabled
BIOS support for USB keyboards - so that I was able to operate my lilo and
winnt boot loader successfully.  However - booting into debian resulted in
no keyboard activity.  A bit of research led me to believe that this was
probably because I had not enabled USB Keyboard support - and the normal USB
support was disabling my BIOS support.  Hoped that there was some boot
parameter i could give lilo to disable USB - but there wasnt.  So I pulled
out the trusty rescue disk.  Rescue disk doesnt have USB support - so I
thought that I would be good to go ... and compile myself a new kernel with
the proper support.  However the only progress I made from this was
discovering that my keyboard was being disabled a bit earlier than I had
thought.

I am getting
Keyboard - Timeout - No AT keyboard present?
(hmmm thats from memory - but close)
it repeats twice before continuing onwards - the keyboard is non-functional
from that point onwards (as demonstrated by caps/num/scroll-lock not
operating the lights any more)
Rebooting back into my custom kernel - I notice that indeed the same error
messages are being displayed - to the same effect. (although theres a set of
2 characters in brackets after each line - different for each of the error
lines.

Any advice, redirection to a better place to ask even :), would be great.

Gareth Pearce - nano sized contributor to open source.