Re: X windows Problem

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Ihab Mohsen wrote:
> When I try to run xdm, it says, ?only root wants to
> run xdm?; but when I su from this same account
> everything seems to run fine.

xdm is supposed to be run by root, but once you get the login panel,
anybody would be allowed to do the login process. When you install xdm,
there should be a file called /etc/init.d/xdm. You are supposed to run the
script during the booting; to have the effect, you'd need to do something
like:
update-rc.d defaults xdm
Well, if you installed xdm using apt, it would have been done for you.

BTW, it's "X Window", and not "X Windows"; well, "X Window System" to be
exact.

Oki