Re: mutt weirdness

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:21:58PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
| * dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> spake thus:
| > On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:32:19PM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
| > | Hi list,
| > |
| > | I am having trouble with mutt again. I got tired of having to wait for
| > | so long for mutt to open one of my mailing list folders,
| >
| > Not the answer you were looking for, but I found that maildir does
| > wonders for this!  (in addition to other benefits such as locating a
| > message with grep :-))
|
| I tried that, and found it even slower[1], in addition to a loss of
| certain features such as automatically detecting new messages in the
| folder while the folder is open (well, it does work, but it is
| horrendously slow).
|
| [1] -- Maybe you are running ReiserFS? I am running ext3.

I'm using ext2.  Now's a good time to find out about my current disk

# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.87 seconds = 13.14 MB/sec

I don't have problems detecting new messages either, I don't think.  I
often keep a tail on my exim log (the one I create with my filter
file) open in another term too so I can see what's arriving.

-D

--

He who belongs to God hears what God says.  The reason you do not hear
is that you do not belong to God.