Re: Where can I get JetAdmin for Linux?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 04:48:30PM -0500, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> No, JetAdmin and CUPS/lp* do very different things.  Among other things,
> JetAdmin and friends can communicate via SNMP to a networked printer,
> allowing you to do fun things like reboot it or query paper status and
> things like that.  CUPS/lp* only handle local queue stuff.  They don't
> do much talking to printers beyond sending jobs to them.

I hate to leap in here, but I have been just looking at a similar
problem. The basic setup: old standalone NT box, using LaserJet 8000 DN
printer. JetDirect software, and the card, were installed but never
used. New debian box (have to share with W2000) connected to LAN. Is
there any way to use the debian box to (a) feed print jobs to the 8000,
and (b) monitor print status, queue, etc., thru JetAdmin and
JetDirect? The 8000 has to remain with the old NT box as the basic
setup, but it seems a shame to waste it's rather significant potential.
I have looked around for some linux JetAdmin stuff, found nothing.
I have a second card in the new box that I tried connecting to the
JetDirect card, to see what I could do, but so far no luck.
Perhaps even tho there is no JetAdmin stuff available for linux, are
there other possible ways of controlling this big dog of a printer
thru the debian box? I suspect that the original poster is in somewhat
the same situation, wondering what to do next? Thanks for any decent
suggestions.

--
Gary Dolan
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, Kernel 2.5.1-pre8