Re: fetchmail

On Saturday 19 January 2002 11:51 pm, Ken Weingold wrote:

> > Most people probably run it using a control file. How about if you post
> > the
> > command line you're using here?
>
> fetchmail -a -p POP3 -k -u username server
>
> with of course the username and server replaced with the real ones.  It
> showed it logging in and retrieving all the mail.

I don't pretend to understand what is happening on your machine, but it seems
to me that fetchmail may have been downloaded, the binaries in place, but
possible not configured or installed properly.

I tried to run your command line on my PC (see below) as root, and at first
it wouldn't run, saying 'Both fetchall and keep on in daemon mode is a
mistake!'.  After a bit of experimentation, I discovered that by removing
root's .fetchmailrc file, it would run ok. Then I get the kind of output you
posted. But interestingly, the mail is still routed locally according to
/etc/fetchmailrc. My guess is there is some sort of inconsistency on which
config files are being honoured on your PC. You don't have an
/etc/default/fetchmail, which suggests that fetchmail hasn't been configured
as part of the install, but do you have an /etc/fetchmailrc?

--
tbird2:~# fetchmail -a -p POP3 -k -u djnisbet mail.btinternet.com
Both fetchall and keep on in daemon mode is a mistake!
tbird2:~# fetchmail -a -p POP3 -k -u djnisbet mail.btinternet.com
Both fetchall and keep on in daemon mode is a mistake!
tbird2:~# ps -ef | grep fetchmail
root      6839 25503  0 21:44 pts/10   00:00:00 grep fetchmail
tbird2:~#