Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:35:35AM -0800, briand@zipcon.net wrote:

> Debian fans,
>
> I have the following modest proposal :
>
> Debian should start charging for high-speed apt-get/dselect/whatever
> downloads from it's sites.  56k is free, anything faster you pay for.
> Then we can pay people to work on the not fun stuff that needs doing.
>
> And people who download ISO's to sell should be paying a LOT.
>
> And this is not a troll.

That may be up to the reader ...

> Debian is worth it, although there has been a lot of grumbling about
> it lately (some of it deserved).  I personally would pay (more).
>
> I would like to see more effort directed at the "not fun" stuff in
> development, like error handling, documentation, testing, correctness
> of packaging.  People working in their spare time don't like to do
> these sorts of tasks and I don't blame them.
>
> I honestly think that more money could make Debian an even better
> distribution.

Debian can't charge for downloads even if they want to, for the simple
reason that debian doesn't _own_ much of the equipment and bandwidth
which has been made available to the debian project.  Companies and
other organizations like universities donate server space and
bandwidth.  Take a look at where the http.us.debian.org servers are
sometime, to say nothing of all the international mirrors.

Tracking who owes what would be a logistical nightmare and would soon
relegate debian to the dustheap of obscurity.

While I understand your motives, this idea sucks :)

A former maintainer of a server in the http.us.debian.org rotation,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.