Rsync question/bug? on --delete

I'm running potato, with rsync 2.3.2

I have a directory on an rsync server, that consists of about 1.95 gig of
files.

On my local server, I am trying to mirror that rsync dir into a directory
that already has existing files.

i'm using

rsync -avvP --delete --force rsync://server/cds/* .

When I do a du -s on server, it shows 19849892 .
on the local server, it is 2743164 .

Hunh?  Looking at the directories on the local server, it looks like
--delete doesn't actually work.

Why is this, and what am i doing wrong?  My understanding of --delete is
if there's a file on the local server, it would delete it if it's not on
server.

I'm sure if i blow away the directory on the local server and do the rsync
that will work, but that seems a very wrong way to do it.  Especially
whenn the next update will be on a 56k link. :)

I tried looking through the bug tracking on rsync.samba.org, but it is
timing out for me currently

Thanks for any help,
Mike