Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:48:25AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
| dman wrote:
|
| >On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:49:42AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| >| also sprach nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2002.01.21.2352 +0100]:
| >
| >It's not just you.  Over here in Rochester; FrontierNet (dsl) at home
| >and RoadRunner at work.
|
| This is a really bad idea.

I was just letting nate know that the problem isn't on his end (or
that the services over here have duplicated the problem ;-)).

| You implicate that there is a guarantee of
| available bandwidth if I pay a certain amount of money.

Of course there is ...

| My Cable-Modem ISP is my biggest bottleneck and they won't talk about
| it.

How much is their talk worth to you?  I bet if you waved $10K under
their nose, they'd start talking.  The real issue is not whether or
not money can make a difference, but how much money will make a
difference.  Almost every{thing|one} can be bought for a price.

| Do I get my money back if I try to download during a CableModem
| slowest time?

You don't get your money back, but if you give enough in the first
place you'll get a higher priority (politically).

| Cablemodems basically suck because you don't have consistent speed
| and you can't get anything running for yourself.

No worse than any other medium.  It's all shared somewhere along the
line; and my dsl hasn't always been consistent either.

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer