Re: Linux ICQ client that doesn't suck?

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:56:46PM -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> > Does anyone out there use ICQ under Debian? So far I've tried licq and
> > gaim with the ICQ plugin, and both of them have very annoying problems
> > (messages get lost, or messages from previous sessions get delivered
> > again on client startup... this is a problem when you have 20+
> > messages that come in everytime you start your ICQ client).
>
> I've had that problem for a while now, but I just grabbed licq 1.0.4
> from unstable and it seems to fix that problem nicely.  Apparently
> 1.0.4 will be the last version to use the old protocol; as someone
> else suggested, you could give the CVS a try if 1.0.4 doesn't fix it.
> The thing to remember tho, is that this is AOLs fault; they keep
> updating the protocol in (what seems to be) a non-backward compatible
> fashion.

Hi! I'm a newbie to the list and Debian in general, but thought I would
add my two cents here: try using gaim *without* the ICQ plugin. ICQ2000b
just runs the AOL protocol which gaim handles well. Set protocol to
Oscar, auth host login.icq.com on port 5190.

Clients that use the old protocol will work alright *if* you have never
used a new ICQ client that uses Oscar.

--
   ___    mail: koali@mailandnews.com
 {~._.~}