Kernel 2.5.1 Problem

Im running debian 2.0 on a compaq persario.
The computer was working fine with kernel 2.2.7 but
after upgrading to kernel 2.5.1 it wouldnt recoginze
my sound card(even though I chose the exact same
driver that worked in the 2.2.7 configuration). Also
when I shutdown or reboot, the computer seems to
freeze at the "Sending all processes the TERM
signal...." line. When I revert to my old kernel
everything seems to work fine...anybody got any ideas?