Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

also sprach briand@zipcon.net <briand@zipcon.net> [2002.01.21.1946 +0100]:
>   >> apt-get -u dist-upgrade, we aren't going to object. if you start
>   >> charging, i am leaving, and i guarantee you that most every other
>   >> developer will too.
>
> I'm still not clear on why you would.  Please explain.

my personal take: because if i want to deal with money, i open the door
and step outside. if i want to enjoy myself without $$$ in mind, i use
and contribute to debian.

another point: money will make you blind. check out suse: 10 years ago
it was the best distro, today they forgot what a user that isn't paying
$10000/month for a support contract is.

another: it adds to the contrast

  (microsoft,money,shit,insecure,slow) ::
  (linux,free,kewl,secure,blazing)

and the last: when i work for debian (like posting 100 msgs/day to the
mailing list), i do so out of free will. would there be money involved,
then it'd automatically take higher priority, i'd quit at five, and i
wouldn't do anything that i wasn't being paid for.

scintillation is not always identification for an auric substance.