Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

also sprach nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2002.01.21.2352 +0100]:
> but i too wouldn't mind a pay download service ..seems
> in recent months most of the fast U.S. debian mirrors
> have gone away. or maybe its just my providers.. usually
> 10-20kb/s once or twice i can get a site that can give
> 100+kb/s.

a very good point, not easy to refute or take on. but it won't work on a
pay-per-view basis. but what most don't realize, even if it won't be
noticeable quickly, a check for $10 now by everyone who thinks like nate
might get us a 100mbps mirror in a couple of months. simple as that.

we, the developers, put hours on end into this project because we trust
it (oh, and use it, and enjoy it), if that ridiculous bullshit act about
cryptographic registration of every computer component and software
piece would actually be enforced, Debian would die, and we'd have done
all the work for nothing. but we don't think that way. so you shouldn't
either. think about how much trouble Debian did shield from you, and how
much time it saved you, and then if you feel lilke contributing, turn it
into a monetary equivalent in form of a contribution. noone will ask
why, noone will look down and laugh at you because you only gave $5.

i spent 2 hours explaining benefits of linux to a guy at the debian
booth at systems 2001, when my stomach gnawed and he took me out for
dinner. look at it however you want, but it was a contribution to the
debian project. and it was "only" $5 or so. see my point?

the micro$oft hoover: finally, a product that's supposed to suck!