sources.list--where to point?

  Gary> I have finally managed to get my little potato box online and want to
  Gary> get current from 2.2r0(!).  Now the question is, where do I point apt in
  Gary> /etc/apt/sources.list?  <<-- that is the right file?

yes it is, here is how I have mine set-up :

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

# testing
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

It's set-up for testing. Substitute stable for testing and you should
be all set.

Brian