Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

  Karl> Hm. I thought that most of the debian servers ran on donated
  Karl> hardware / bandwidth anyway. If I am correct, then I'm not
  Karl> sure that it's right to=20 charge for it...

Natrually if you were charging then you'd start paying.  And maybe
that wouldn't work well making this whole idea useless.

  >> And people who download ISO's to sell should be paying a LOT.

  Karl> I'm not sure about this one. The ISO's that I have spotted for sale (in
  Karl> the UK) are quite cheap: About =A35 - =A320 for the full set, where the
  Karl> more expensive ones include printed documentation.=20

  Karl> I think that if anybody sold ISO's for profit (i.e. charged more than a
  Karl> reasonable cost price for download, cd, burning, packaging etc), then=20
  Karl> they would be in breach of the license. But I'm no legal expert, so=20
  Karl> don't take my word for it.

I don't think it would be.  I find it annoying that I can download an
ISO and turn around and sell it and not have to give 1 monetary unit
to Debian.  I don't think it's reasonable.  Maybe everybody else does,
in which case the argument is finished and I'll go write a check :-)

Oh and I'll file a bug report for good measure.

  Karl> Allegedly, the boot-floppies team could do with some help...

  Karl> Best of all (at least for non-maintainers ?) would probably be
  Karl> to report bugs. And make sure that the bugs include
  Karl> patches. Such high-quality bug reports should make the
  Karl> maintainer's job easier.

Even if some sort of scheme could be worked out on the monetary side,
the task of deciding who gets what to do what is very non-trivial.

Brian