Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

  Colin> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:35:35AM -0800, briand@zipcon.net wrote:
  >> I have the following modest proposal :
  >>
  >> Debian should start charging for high-speed apt-get/dselect/whatever
  >> downloads from it's sites.  56k is free, anything faster you pay for.
  >> Then we can pay people to work on the not fun stuff that needs doing.
  >>
  >> And people who download ISO's to sell should be paying a LOT.
  >>
  >> And this is not a troll.

  Colin> Are you sure it isn't? You do that and I guarantee you most of the
  Colin> developers will leave.

yes I'm sure it isn't.

It may be in the course of discussion I will find it's a bad idea, and
my thinking was wrong-headed. I will gladly admit it if that's the
case.

Expand on why you think developers will leave, it's not obvious to me.

If I pay someone to do unfun work others don't like doing wouldn't
that be a positive thing ?  And shouldn't the current developers be
first in line in such a system ?

Or are you worried that if you can't pay _everyone_ then it will cause
envy problems.

I'm just guessing, please let me know your rationale.

Brian