Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:35:35AM -0800, briand@zipcon.net wrote:

> Debian fans,
>
> I have the following modest proposal :
>
> Debian should start charging for high-speed apt-get/dselect/whatever
> downloads from it's sites.  56k is free, anything faster you pay for.
> Then we can pay people to work on the not fun stuff that needs doing.

Hm. I thought that most of the debian servers ran on donated hardware /
bandwidth anyway. If I am correct, then I'm not sure that it's right to
charge for it...

> And people who download ISO's to sell should be paying a LOT.

I'm not sure about this one. The ISO's that I have spotted for sale (in
the UK) are quite cheap: About £5 - £20 for the full set, where the
more expensive ones include printed documentation.

I think that if anybody sold ISO's for profit (i.e. charged more than a
reasonable cost price for download, cd, burning, packaging etc), then
they would be in breach of the license. But I'm no legal expert, so
don't take my word for it.

> And this is not a troll.
>
> Debian is worth it, although there has been a lot of grumbling about
> it lately (some of it deserved).  I personally would pay (more).
>
> I would like to see more effort directed at the "not fun" stuff in
> development, like error handling, documentation, testing, correctness
> of packaging.  People working in their spare time don't like to do
> these sorts of tasks and I don't blame them.

Allegedly, the boot-floppies team could do with some help...

Best of all (at least for non-maintainers ?) would probably be to report
bugs. And make sure that the bugs include patches. Such high-quality bug
reports should make the maintainer's job easier.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com