iEpson StylusColor 860 on USB

With help from the list I have configured my kernel for usb devices. Now cat /proc/bus/usb/devices shows not only the hub but also an Epson printer and lists its serial number - it knows its out there.

I have configured printcap to use /dev/usb/lp0. Still lp testtext (a short text file) prints nothing.

I visited www.linux-usb.org where it is reported that this printer works perfectly after being sent an initialization string uniprint -dupBeginPageCommand="<00 00 00 1b01 . . .etc. Again a list member suggested that uniprint is one of the printer definitions for ghostscript. My version of gs I downloaded from the stable packages for the 2.2.19 kernel and it doesn't like that -dupBeginPageCommand.

There seems to be a possibility of putting a printer initialization string in lpd an I am experimenting with this but have not got it right so far.

Since /proc/bus/usb/devices knows the printer is there and the other operating? system has no trouble using the printer on the usb connection I feel there should be a simple solution.

Have I missed something obvious? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.