Re: Woody flavors

> I was wondering....as far as I can tell there are 5 Woody flavors, yet
> the unofficial  cd-image mirrors seem to have 8 raw (iso) files.  Could
> someone set me straight on this (since the readme doesn't help much in
> the way of outlining the general cd contents. ). I guess all of the
> different flavors are on the 1st cd.....so what are on the others???

Not sure what do you mean by woody flavor. Trying to guess by the rest
of the paragraph, you call each kernel image a flavor. In this case,
there are several kernel images in order to meet different hardwares.
These kernels are put on different CDs because as far as I know each CD
can have only one boot image.
I have not downloaded any of the iso files. It could be that there are
8 of them since Debian support more then one architecture.

>   I thought I would make a cd to install from scratch that uses ext3
> with kernel 2.4 (and there seems to be a kernel-image for 2.4 with ext 3
> on the first cd, judging by the list)  I've got a fast connection at
> school and a slow one at home (so I would rather burn all I can on cd).
> Anyway, are the last 3 (or last 7) image cds extra stuff (non-free and
> non-us?)
> Thanks,
> Glen

As far as I know the current plan is to release woody with a 2.2
kernel. You can install a 2.4 kernel but I doubt if this will be found
on any unofficial woody iso file.
It could be that these extra CDs are non-free and non-us and it could
be that these are for architectures other then ia-32.
Hope this helps.