Re: Sharing .deb files across network

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:06:16 -0600, Ron Johnson said:

> Hi,
>
>  I have billions and billions of file in /var/cache/apt/archives.
>
>  Is there any way, without using NFS, to share them with the other
>  machines in my LAN, so that I only need to download them (using
>  "apt-get install|upgrade" on my main machine) once from a debian
>  mirror.
>
>  Then, when I do "apt-get install|upgrade" on my other machines,
>  they would 1st look on my main machine, then go to the internet
>  if needed.
>
>  I looked at apt-proxy, but it looks like you must set up a
>  distribution mirror, and I don't have the bandwidth for that.

- you make a mistake, apt-proxy don't need you set up a mirror,
it only caches any .deb that are requested via that proxy.

I use it on my LAN, but it only worked when I understood that it don't
use ftp but rsync, and servers are fewer (but reliable).

mose

--
< mose >   < Makina Corpus >   < 105, avenue Parmentier >
< http://makina-corpus.com >	       < FR 75011 PARIS >