Re: Identd

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Santiago Canez wrote:

> How should I be starting/using identd? It takes me like 15-20 seconds to
> connect to irc.openprojects.net (using Xchat), takes about the same tie to
> connect to my school's pop/imap server and ssh server...and once connected
> to irc.openprojects.net I get this message "AUTH :*** No identd (auth)
> response", I assume it's an identd problem, any ideas?

Normally you shouldn't have one running: if a remote server tries to
connect to your computer (to do the ident lookup) and it finds a closed
port, it return immediately - it got a reject.

 If you have a firewall that *DROPS* packets, on the other hand, you'll
get the 15-20 seconds delay [the time-out from the connection from the
remote server to your computer].

  So, the solution would be:
     1) check you aren't running a *DROPPING* firewall
     2) if not, try
           telnet localhost ident
       and see if it also takes 15-20 seconds to get an answer
     3) If the server irc.openproject.net *really* wants a valid
         ident name, you could consider running a real ident daemon
       (or what i would do: one of the small ones that just return
       a fixed or random answer, eg nullidentd
    --> apt-cache search identd )
      If you see one you like, apt-get install <packagename>
      as root should be enough

 Dries