Re: newbie

Kent West declaimed:
> Joe Wise wrote:
>
> >I just got my CD this afternoon.  My CD shows up in the CMOS, but I
> >cannot get it to boot.
One common gotcha is that an IDE device must be the bus master in order,
easy to forget.

> >So, I made the floppies and booted using them.
If it didn't see your CD-ROM at that point, there's something wrong with
the hardware, unless it's a really weird brand.

> >Now I am installing the kernal.  Still no CD.  What do I need
> >on the floppies to pull this off?  I have been looking all over the
> >Debian web page for what files I need.  I downloaded the drivers file,
> >and went through the tgz thing with windows.  I just need to know what
> >files it is looking for when it says:  "insert driver disk."
I'm stumped on this one.

A different idea: scrounge a Win95/98/Me boot floppy. If it brings up
your system in DOS with your CD-ROM working (there's a good chance it
will) then you can run the INSTALL.BAT command on the CD to load Linux
and install Debian.

If it doesn't support your CD-ROM, you should be able to download the
DOS driver (e.g. CDROM_BRAND.SYS) and add it to the boot floppy's
CONFIG.SYS file, copy the line with OAKCDROM.SYS.
[Note: some may regard the above as heresy, but then why is that
 INSTALL.BAT file on the CD?]

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/