Re: another exim question

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Like it says I think you have DNS problems.  I did a quick lookup on your
> domain name (hellrot.org) and it told me the mail server for your domain is
> at mail2.your-site.com.  I assume this is a domain name hosting company and
> they are holding your domain name and forwarding mail to somewhere (your ISP
> or you?) - but the mail server you are trying to set up also appears to think
> its the MX mail server for hellrot.org.

Well here's the deal.  Yes, hellrot.org is hosted where you say.  By
default mail for my domain name sits there to be retreived via POP.
Before last week, I had all mail to my domain name forwarded to my
address on an OpenBSD server I ran at my old job, and all worked as it
should.  Same for an account I have on someone's Linux server.  Any
mail to me at any of my addresses at different domain names all
arrived with no problem.  Problem there is that the guy is running
DMail, which seems to completely ignore procmail and .forwards.  But
anyway, this is why I think that it is a local problem.

> I am not sure if your domain hosting company has the flexibility to do
> something like
>
> a) Add some DNS entries for names like mail.hellrot.org which is the IP
> address your ISP has given you (problem is if its dhcp and changes all the
> time - then you can't really do this)
> b) Change the DNS MX record for hellrot.org to point to mail.hellrot.org

Probably not.  It is a very customized system for their stuff.

> The alternative is to leave mail2.your-site.com forwarding mail to your ISPs
> mail address and to pick up from there by fetchmail.  Then use exim just to
> distribute mail locally.  In this case, behind the privacy of a firewall you
> can set up your own DNS server to support your internal network with names
> you like.

True.  Probably would be easiest, but I think I would rather have my
stuff on a real external server.  I don't like keeping stuff like this
at home, in case of reboots or problems.  I just need to find a
reliable and inexpensive shell server if this guy cannot fix the DMail
problem.

Thanks again.

-Ken