Re: dselect

> > Why in back ground.  APT system run by dselect
>
> Pet peeve: apt has nothing to do with the questions that are asked while
> upgrading packages.
>
> > asks question unless you set "debconf" to assume yes to all etc.
>
> Even then you'll have to pass dpkg special options to force what it does
> with conffile changes.
>
> Completely unattended upgrades are a worthwhile goal, but they aren't
> possible in the general case yet.

I am interested in this because if I'm at home, and telnet to my linux
which is at work, I'd like to tell it to upgrade remotely without having
to stay online for hours while it downloads and installs the updates.

In this case, I'd like it to download the gnome desktop packages and it'd
be ready when I come back into work on Monday.  Otherwise, I'd either have
to stay onthe phone, or wait until I get to work--in either case, its a
loss of productive time for me.