can't get realtek NICs to work.

 Just installed a debian system. Used a CD to boot and downloaded the files
from the net afterwards. Installation went well, NIC where working fine.
Since I want to use iptables, I need a 2.4.x kernel. Compiled a new one,
with support for 8139 realteks, the NICs I have. Everything seems to work
fine, except the NICs. Ifup with eth1 fails and during boot up it reports:
modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module eth1. Operation failed.  Ifup with
eth0 yileds some errors: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device. eht0: unknown
interface: no such device. SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device. eth0: unknown
interface: No such device.

 What couls cause such problems?