Re: SuSE7.2 -> Debian?

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:26:31 -0800 Klaus Neumann <KlausN@whidbey.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way (for a beginner!) to convert a SuSE7.2 system, used as a
> router, to a Debian system?

My way, when converting from Mandrake:
Tar up /home & /etc directories.
FTP them to another computer.
Install Debian fresh.
Retrieve  the tarballs, and restore them to temporary directories
under /var.
Copy the relevant files back to /home.
Since things in /etc are so (relatively) different, use the files
in your /var etc/ directory as a guide to customizing things (like
firewall rules, presuming the firewall script is in /etc!) after
install.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |