Re: lost X-windows

* sam rosenfeld (sam@wdn.com) wrote:
> How can I reinstall my X without going through the entire installation process
> again?  (Debian2.2r2)   Startx is gone and using a command line entry of "X"
> yields the following response:
>
> X: cannot read /etc/X11/X symbolic link (Invalid argument), aborting.
>
> I'd try to troubleshoot the problem, but I think reinstallation may be
> indicated.

I went through this very thing when i installed Linux on my kids' machine, and upgraded immediately from 2.2r0 to woody.  Reinstalling led to the same problem.

On both boxes, there is a symlink in /etc/X11: X->/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.  I think if you set that up, it will work for you.  However, YMMV.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
From Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast