Re: Problem with email

This is a repeat reply because I do not know if I got
this message out or not.  I was haveing trouble
getting yahoo mail to let me recieve from debian.

See below for my reply:

--- ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 10:33 am, Brian Schramm
> wrote:
> > First my stats.
> > Debian woody i386 from cd's bought from Cheapbytes
> > After installing I then updated the system with
> > dselect to the most current woody off the servers.
> > I have a fixed domain name from yi.org.
> > Plus I have a local network
> >
> > I have a problem with my mail working on imap and
> > pop3.  I thought that I had it set up ok since I
> can
> > ping the server as well as telnet to it on the
> ports
> > nessasary (143 & 110).  When I try to get my mail
> from
> > any mail program I do not connect.  I get the
> error as
> > if I typed in the wrong mail server name.  I have
> > tryed this with several installs of debian and
> redhat
> > and am having the same error.
> >
> > What have I done wrong?
> >

> that's not really enough information to go on to be
> able to help you. try
> describing the topology of your local network and
> how it's hooked to the web.

I have a 10baset ethernet for my local network and it
is tyed into the net with a 56K dial up modem on a
normal phone line.  The one machine is the gateway for
the email (pop3 and imap), web and anything else that
is not local.

> you say you're running both pop3 and imap
> servers--is this on the one box?
>
> what do you mean by 'when i try to get my mail'--you
> need to describe the
> environment you're working with/in.

I have tryed several email clients to get the mail
from this box using pop3 or imap protocals.  Every
time I do I get an error saying that it cannot find my
box or login failed.  Right now I only have the server
on this network because I am rebuilding the network
from a hardware crash.

> the fact that you're consistently getting the same
> error means that you're
> consistently making the same mistake. perhaps a
> better description of your
> setup process might reveal what that is.

I install the distrobution and setup my users.  I then
go into my modem setup and install the program that
sets me up with my domain name on the internet.  What
that does is very similar to the way gnudip does it.
My local network is set up like any other network that
I have ever set up.  I save the default gateway to be
assined by the ppp system.  That way it works for both
networks.  I also let my ppp connection assign the dns
servers.  I use the host file for any local computers.
 The mail server software (pop3 and imap) is installed
as it is from the default install on debian package.
The clients (kmail and netscape for two of them) are
installed to use the opo3 or imap depending on what
the software is compatable with.  This is following
the instructions for the client.

I hope this will help you help me.

Thanks for the help.

Brian