Re: newbie

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:15:00AM -0800, Karim Zerioh wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've never used linux. And I'm trying to install debian 2.2 rev2.
> But I want you to help me for this.
> I booted from CD-ROM and entered the keaboard language.
> But in the next stage (partition hard disk) i don't know what to do?
> I tried to do "write" for all partitions suggested but the installation process still on the same stage.
> Can you help me with cfdisk, please?.

First you have to decide whether you are going to use the whole hard
disk for Linux or not.

Make a swap partition by selecting "New", fill in the size (normally
two times the size of your ram), indicate whether you want the swap
partition at the end or beginning of the hard disk.  Do the same for
your main partition.  Select the correct type for each partion (82 for
swap and 83 for the main Linux partition.

If the main those are the only two partitions on the hard disk, you
should make your Linux partition bootable.  If there is already
another (e.g. Windows) partition which is bootable, leave it like
that.

Then you select write, answer yes if you have backups of your
important data and then quit.

The installation manual on the CD (look for the "doc" directory under
disks-i386) is very good.

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the
      whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of
      them whose heart is perfect toward him..."
                                   II Chronicles 16:9