Re: nVidia and X problems

On Friday 18 January 2002 11:45, David Wright wrote:
> I am using an AGP nVidia GeForce2 MX video card and am experiencing video
> problems. The screen, even in text mode, shows lots of flickering,
> horizontal lines.
>
> The monitor is a 1600 x 1200 19" LCD; I can plug it into another machine
> and the image is beautiful, so I don't think the problem is in the monitor.
>
> I have two new machines which each have this card, and both show this
> behaviour, so I don't think the problem is in the video card.

I have also a AGP nVidia GeForce2 MX video card but i'm using the nVidia's
closed-source drivers which works fine.

I experienced also flickering but i fixed it by updating manually in the
XF86config-4 file the refrech rate given in my monitor documentation.
Be carfull with that! Be sure to put value given in your monito doc!!

> So could it be that I am using some generic driver and need to use the
> right one?
>
> I don't need top 3D performance, so I would prefer not have have to deal
> with nVidia's closed-source drivers -- isn't there also an
open-source
> driver from XFee86-4? ("nv"?) And shouldn't the kernel load agpart to use
> the AGP slot? How do I get it to do this stuff?

i never succeeded to use the "nv" driver
> Thanks!

np

--
Xavier Hubin DMV