Re: Sound

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 04:01, Michael Montz wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I did a dist-upgrade to woody and now alsa is acting flacky.
>
> /etc/init.d/alsa start does not work.  Loading the modules by hand will
> allow me to get sound working, but my microphone no longer works.
>
> I get the following errors when trying to use the alsa mixers:
>
> alsamixer: failed to open mixer #0/#0: Success
> amixer: Mixer 0/0 open error: No such file or directory
>
> As added info, I installed a stock kernel from woody (2.4.16-k6) plus
> the alsa stuff that matched.
>
> Any clues?

Same here, with the latest alsa (0.9+0beta10-5), the fun (or
frustrating) thing is with the same audio card but with another peecee
the card works. It's the crappy integrated VIA686: in a box with an
Athlon the mixer isn't found, in a box with a PIII the card works, the
two boxes are the same about package installed (updated sid). The only
way to have sound with the Athlon is to use an'older release...

Only to say that you are not alone =)

Andrea