Re: [impossible?] libc6 upgrade/install issue

On Thursday 17 January 2002 7:16 am, Rob Weir wrote:
> Howdy
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:05:30PM +0000, joris.lambrecht@pandora.be wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently i ran into quite a lot of trouble with my Debian Gnu/Linux
> > system. I can't exactly recall what triggered the mayhem but i think it
> >
> > Basically when installing the netbase package there is an error message
> > while unpacking the package. rpcinfo is to be overwritten but it's also
> > part of the libc6 package ... something Broken Pipe ... and then it
> > aborts.
..
> Firstly, fix up your sources.list.  Make sure that you only have one
> disitribution in it, the one that you actually want installed.
> Then, give 'apt-get -f install' a go.  It's usually able to fix up my
> system for me.  Fiddling around with essential packages like perl,
> netbase and libc6 is (in my experience) a really, really bad idea.
> After all that, try dselect, and go to the select packages menu, and
> hit enter.  Have a look at what dselect recommends installing, and
> probably just accept it.

I hope someone else can come in here.  I posted a similar problem twice in
the last few weeks, and nobody has been able to help

In mine, I was upgrading a woody system which had last had an update 6 months
ago.  At the point where it was installing a new version of libc6 and as soon
as this happens things start dying (segfault) particularly dpkg   - to the
point at which when processes like bash or ssh end they won't restart.  A
reboot just fails to get a system up at all.  My ONLY recovery is to either
do a fresh install or go back to my backup.  Since I can't yet get a CD-ROM
install more advanced than whats on there (since this is the network gateway
machine), I have to go to backup and cannot get upgraded.

I am now convinced that there is something about a libc6 update.  I can
individually apt-get install ANY other package with this old version of libc6
and it works fine so I have to conclude it is not an issue with the installed
version of libc6 specifically.

I had a look at the deb and the postinst script is pretty impossible to
follow - it does seem to do a ldconfig though which is what I thought might
have been missing. So I am clueless as where to look next

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk