Re: 3c905c arp/configuration problems

From: Angus D Madden <angus@3wsi.com>
To: crispin@iinet.net.au
CC: Angus D Madden <ii@took.ekilat.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: 3c905c arp/configuration problems
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:32:12 -0500

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:26:44PM +0800, crispin@iinet.net.au wrote:

> Does the connect light come up on the NIC in the client? The NIC in the gateway?

all lights are on, including the lights on the switch.

> Thus traffic send from gateway to client doesnot get through.

yes.

> Because the who-has, is-at handshake fails.
>
> Most probably I would pin this down to a broken cable line between the gateway and the client somewhere. Either a broken twisted pair in one of your cat-5 cables, a broken pin in one of your NICS or a dry solder joint creating a broken connection in a NIC. I've had this *exact* connundrum before and it turned out to be hardware (in my case it was the port I was using on the switch which was dead, and another port worked fine). Basically all the traffic is one way. The client can talk to the gateway but the gateway cant talk to the client.
>
> It maybe the vortex, because they've had lots of problems with HP changing the spec's on them and breaking the OSS drivers. Theres a page by the guy that wrote the original driver explaining the hassles.

I have tried two different cables and all the ports on the switch.  The
only thing left would be the NIC itself, which was working fienn
yesterday.  If all else fails I'll buy a new NIC.

> First time I had this prob it took me weeks. Then when I changed the switch port and it all worked I spent a week banging my head against my desk :)
>
> Kind Regards
> Crispin Wellington

thanks.  my head is fully prepared for banging.

<< attach3 >>

Have you watched for error messages from the card on boot-up? I had a 905C get a screwy ROM. The card would work for about a 3 minutes, then die. I could logon immediately, start the transfer of a large file, and watch the lights blink fast, then see them blink slower and slower then after maybe 1 minute or so, it would completely stop. When the card was first initialized it mentioned a checksum failure of somesort. The damn thing had worked fine for months, then I added a tape drive to the box, (never touched the NIC, except to yank the cable from the back) and when I tried to plug it back into the network later that day...........