Re: broken "man"

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:41:38AM -0800, icewind wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed the lastest stable release of debain over
> the network, installing a minimal number of packages.
>
> Shouldn't 'man' be part of the base install? When I
> type man, the system doesnt find anything.

I believe it *is* part of the base install. But as far as I know,
no packages depend on it being installed. Not all systems want
man-pages.

When you say "a minimal number of packages", are you sure that you
didn't de-select the "man-db" package? This would be the one containing
the "man" command.

> How can I determine if man is installed and see if all
> of the things that man depends on are installed as
> well?

$ dpkg --status man-db
and
$ dpkg --list man-db