Running mailfilter before fetchmail

I have fetchmail running with --daemon 3600, and I've also just set up a
mailfilter which works well. What I'd like to do is run mailfilter, then run
fetchmail. As far as I can tell, the daemon check interval for fetchmail
starts from when fetchmail is started. Is it possible to get fetchmail to do
any pre-processing before connecting to get mail: i.e. Can I somehow
configure things so that mailfilter is run just before fetchmail?

Dougie