Re: Pentium Freezes (Potato)

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:59:54AM -0600, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> crispin@iinet.net.au writes:
>
> > I had heaps of problems installing Debian (or any linux) on my HP
> > Vectra VL. I bought it second hand and it had been set up with
> > windows on it. My problems were solved by...
> >
> > 1) Changing the BIOS setup. PNP - no. Standard app - Yes. Some
> > others I think
> >
> > 2) Using the 3c59x driver for the ethernet device.
> >
> > Then everything works fine. If this is hows its set and your still
> > having probs, then it could be hardware.
>
> Unfortunatly there is no PNP option in my Vectra BIOS. However, I did
> flash the BIOS with an update from HP/Phoenix but still the problem
> persists. I'm also not running SCSI on it. The only card I have in it
> is the NIC - an older Netgear NE2000 clone I bought at Frey's for $5.
>
> What's funny is that the system is freezing somewhat sporatically in
> that it sometimes froze while compiling utils-linux but later threw an
> oops with SIG 11 (are we still supposed to send these to Linus?)  and
> later ld just plain seg faulted (ld caused the oops with sig 11).
>
> My next venture is to download HP's troubleshooting disk and see
> if that helps any. Thank you for all your help.

When the system freezes, does it unfreeze after a while, or is it hung for good. Ive noticed that systems with disk bus errors tend to freeze for periods of time then unfreeze again (after the disk bus is reset after a timeout), often with a small piece of filesystem corruption with each freeze :(

Thats why I asked about the SCSI. I was thinking it might have been an unterminated SCSI bus. If it does 'unfreeze', maybe its your disk cables/conectors/controllers.

Crispin