Re: Pentium Freezes (Potato)

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:53:54PM -0600, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a pentium machine (HP Vectra VL Series 4 5/100,
> 32M). I installed debian upon it but noticed that the machine would
> freeze up on occasion even in initial installation (badblocks read
> test [rw worked fine]). Eventually I installed the whole system, but
> when re-compiling the kernel, again, system-freeze.

I had heaps of problems installing Debian (or any linux) on my HP Vectra VL. I bought it second hand and it had been set up with windows on it. My problems were solved by...

1) Changing the BIOS setup. PNP - no. Standard app - Yes. Some others I think

2) Using the 3c59x driver for the ethernet device.

Then everything works fine. If this is hows its set and your still having probs, then it could be hardware.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington
crispin@iinet.net.au