Re: exim + fetchmail configuration question

On Sunday 13 January 2002 7:41 pm, Michael A. Miller wrote:
> using fetchmail.  This fails with a message that says
>
>   Some addresses were rejected by the MDA fetchmail forwards to.
>..

> I think that can solve this problem if I add localhost to me
> local_domains in the exim config file.  Would someone with exim
> expertise let me know if this is the correct way to do this?  Or
> if there is a better way?

That is certainly one way to solve the problem  - unless you tell it
otherwise fetchmail announces itself to exim as sending mail from
user@localhost.

The other way (and what I now use - my headers then tell me where the mail is
from - I could add different ones for different ISPs but I don't) is to add
smtpaddress to the user part of fetchmailrc so for instance here is my
fetchmailrc file (passwords excepted).  My local domains as known to exim are
are *.home (which is my local lan) chandlerfamily.org.uk (external address)
and libdebate.org (not yet in operation).  I do actually have localhost in
there too.

# Created by AKC 14th July 2000
set syslog
set no bouncemail
poll mail.u-net.com no dns proto POP3 tracepolls
 aka chandler.u-net.com
 envelope "Envelope-to"
 user "chandler" password "xxxxx" forcecr is * smtpaddress fetchmail.home
 user "alan-chandler" password "xxxxx" forcecr is alan smptaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "emily-chandler" password "xxxxx" forcecr is emily smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
poll mail.tesco.net no dns proto POP3 tracepolls
	aka tesco.net
 user "alan.chandler" password "xxxxx" forcecr is alan smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "Sarah.Chandler" password "xxxxx" forcecr is sarah fetchall smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk no dns proto POP3 tracepolls
	aka blueyonder.co.uk
	localdomains chandlerfamily.org.uk libdebate.org
 user "ac003a3222" password "xxxxx" forcecr is * smtpaddress fetchmail.home
 user "ac003a3222_2" password "xxxxx" forcecr is sarah smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "ac003a3222_3" password "xxxxx" forcecr is emily smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "ac003a3222_4" password "xxxxx" forcecr is carrie smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "ac003a3222_5" password "xxxxx" forcecr is alan smtpaddress
fetchmail.home

- --

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk