Re: X Configuration in Woody

* Mark Wagnon (mark_wagnon@yahoo.com) spake thusly:

...The problem is that it's
> driving my monitor at a resolution that 1) renders everything too
> small to read, and 2) that AFAIK, is outstide my monitor's
> capabilities.

If it's a CRT monitor, max resolution depends on refresh rate.
Your manual may list 1024x768@65Hz as the max, but the monitor
will work at e.g. 1280x1024@56Hz. Max refresh rate on the video
card also depends on the number of colour bits per pixel: higher
bpp -> lower refresh rate. Oh, and lower refresh rates are bad
for your eyes. Fluorescent lights flickering at 50Hz and monitor
flickering at 56Hz is a particularly nasty combination.

There's a program called xvidtune, try it. Also, try pressing
Ctrl - Alt - Grey + (or Grey -) to cycle through video modes.

Modern monitors go blank if you try driving them outside the
specs. Old ones may go titsup.

As for fonts, you can tell X to use bigger fonts.

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin