Re: Play VCD on computer

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:43:24 +0100
Martin Wuertele <martin@wuertele.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 07:38:58AM +0800, csj wrote:

> <snip />

>From one snipper to another:

> you should not use any packaged version of mplayer for the following reasons
> (see http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/users_against_developers.html#binary)
>
> 1. Law: Mplayer "contains several files with incompatible licenses
> 	especially on the redistribution clauses. As source files,
> 	they are allowed to coexist in a same project."

Kind of like the substance abuse motto: save the pusher, jail the user.

> 2. Technical:
> 	"MPlayer's speed (MMX, SSE, fastmemcpy, etc) optimizations are
> 	determined during compilation.

You're absolutely right on the technical reasons.

> just download the source and do a fakeroot debian/rules binary and it will
> compile fine, optimised for the system you compile it on.

Source also comes in packages ;-). Otherwise you have to write your own
makefiles, configure script, etc. The unoffical Debian archive I cited
provides apt-get'table source in the official three part format (.dsc,
..diff.gz, .orig.tar.gz). Does the mplayerhq.hu source (which I see as a
single gz/bz2 tar file) come with an internal ./debian directory?